Saturday, June 15, 2013

Introduction

This is the first post on my new blog about my adventures in antiquing. So exciting!  I have always loved antiques, especially furniture and brass, and now I have decided to pursue my interest and learn enough about them to discuss them intelligently. I have started a course at the Asheford Institute of Antiques to get a general education without a specific focus at this time.  I'm well into my studies and enjoying myself immensely!

My late husband, Peter, had a grandmother and sister that were very involved in antiquing.  His sister, Carolinda, and her husband, David, used to participate in antique shows and had many friends in the industry.  His grandmother lived in Barnsville Georgia and collected many beautiful pieces throughout her long and eventful life. When she passed away, some of these treasures were sold and some were passed along to her grandchildren, Peter and Carolinda. Now that I have the responsibility of caring for the items we have, I want to be sure I know how to keep everything in good condition and can talk about them with some assurance that my history is correct!

Every chance I get, which isn't as often as I'd like, I go out to different antique malls and stores, antique fairs, thrift shops, estate sales, auctions, and other places to soak up some of the incredible knowledge of the people who make this their career.  I've made up introduction cards to give people to build up a database of contacts with the same interests that I have in beautiful, historic items and I'm starting this blog to document my progress in this endeavor.  I'm also new to blogging so this is a second learning process as well.

Wish me luck, and come back to visit.  I will try to update as often as I can.

Happy antiquing!

No comments:

Post a Comment